Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Frustrations and Futures: My New Year's Resolutions

Keep doing what you do, little buddy.
Aargh. So it's been nearly 11 months since I last posted in this blog, and that wasn't even a real post. It was just a vague hope that I would actually utilize this blog. And I haven't. But that's all going to change!

2011 was kinda of a downer year for me. I feel like I didn't accomplish anything, even though I think I actually did. I preached my first sermon, I broke my old record for holding a job, I traveled to Portland, Oregon, with a good friend, and I grew and matured in ways I never thought I would. I started (and ended) a regular radio program, I made new friends, and moved on from others. Really it's been a busy and productive year. But still...

The problem is I tend to focus on what I didn't do. I didn't lose weight or get in better shape. I didn't graduate from college. I didn't have a serious relationship. I didn't blog, or really write much of anything. I look at these things, and it makes me feel...useless, unmotivated, unaccomplished. Which is why I decided to make resolutions this year.

Normally, I'm against the whole idea of New Year's resolutions. They're often rash decisions, made in the heat of the moment, with vague outcomes that are forgotten by 6 pm on January 1st. Lord knows I've done that many times before ("That's it! No more soda or fast food. After I have a Number 3 with a large Dr. Pepper"). That, or I decide, like my good buddy Calvin up there, that there's no need to change anything, I'm fine the way I am, now give me a second while I catch my breath. Tying my shoes is tough business, you know. This year, however, I realize that arrogance and lack of motivation simply aren't going to be excuses to not make any changes.

So without further ado, here are my resolutions for 2012. After all, if this is to be the last year of the universe, might as well make it a good one.

1. Write - I went an entire year with very little output in the realm of the written word. That ends now. I'm going to attempt to put out a blog post every week for the rest of the year. Even if I don't quite hit this goal, I hope to come close. My minimum will be 40 posts this year. That give me 12 off weeks if I so choose. And what will I write about? I don't know. Stick around and see what shows up.

2. Get in shape - Yes, this is a cliché, but it's one I actually need to do. I hit 30 years in May, and I kinda want to double that before I keel over. So, 5 pounds every month. Limit fast food, and quit soda, join a gym, and utilize it at least three times a week.

3. Get a new job - Don't get me wrong, I actually love my job, but it doesn't love me back. To be specific, working nights doesn't love me back. I've gotten to the point where sleep is a rarity on days I work, as I can't seem to turn off while the sun's up. Of course, this affects my output at work, and turns me into the undead when I'm not on the clock. So, I'm applying and sending out feelers looking for something new.

4. Clean my room - You laugh, but seriously, it needs to be done. Might as well add it to the list.

5. Prioritize - Fact is, I'm doing way too much right now. Which is odd, considering I'm not really doing too many things, but all are big things that take up a lot of time. Sacrifices are going to have to be made. I haven't quite figured out what those are yet, but stay tuned, I'm sure I'll talk about them.

6. Beat my brother at Scrabble/Troy at chess - It's only a matter of time, fellas.

So that's it. Here's to 2012. See you on the other side.

3 comments:

  1. These are great and realistic! Biggest thing is concentrating on what you HAVE accomplished and work on what you haven't! Take baby steps into life changes....joining a gym is easy its committing to it thats hard..having a workout partner is truly the best way atleast that is what i have found. :) I wish you luck friend and if you ever need a friend to talk to dont be shy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with Tatiana. Get a work out buddy and schedule at least once per week to work out.
    Also, in helping with your fast food issue, buy a crock pot. There are, no embellishments, THOUSANDS of crock pot recipes out there for healthy and filling alternatives to fast food that require less prep time.
    One last thing on getting in shape. Even if you can't get to the gym or do your workout, stretch every day. It will limber you up even if you don't thin as quick as you might like.
    Glad to hear you trying to make some changes to your life. Best of luck.
    -Reese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas here, Heath - good for you!
    Take a look at the site Health Month; it turns resolutions into a game of sorts and rewards you with points for compliance. I'm using it myself and it's working so far. :)

    ReplyDelete